Enabling the kernel's DMESG_RESTRICT feature

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sat Jun 4 14:47:32 UTC 2011

Matt Zimmerman [2011-06-02 13:14 +0100]:
> Maybe I'm weird, but I use dmesg for a lot of "normal" tasks, not just
> debugging problems which will require root to fix.

I also use it to check if there are any disk read/write errors when my
external USB hard disks act strange or slow again. Surely not the best
way to present these problems, I know, but the only one which is both
quick to do and readily available in every environment.

Martin