"Ubuntu Packaging Guide"

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Fri Jun 3 14:25:28 UTC 2011

Hi Scott (2011.06.03_15:51:00_+0200)
> you'll find no mention of the 'normal' tools and processes that I (and
> I believe most) Ubuntu developers use.

I think it's useful to develop documentation aimed at where we want to
be, a little more than where we are, as the documentation takes a while
to mature.

However, I agree that the documenting the "normal" tools is entirely
necessary. You can't understand Debian packaging well, without
understanding the processes it was designed for.

In the beginning, when you don't have a clue what you are doing, having
simple abstractions can help a lot. But soon enough, the packager will need
to understand the concept of source packages and all the tools for
dealing with them.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera