Understanding the definitions and expectations of our membership processes

Clint Byrum clint at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 27 15:53:17 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Benjamin Drung's message of Wed Jul 27 06:22:18 -0700 2011:

> Bug work on Ubuntu bugs is one way to get Ubuntu membership, but it not
> enough for getting upload privileges. The line between Ubuntu work and
> upstream work gets blurry in this case.

I actually think its pretty clear for upload rights.

Ubuntu Developers need to understand *packaging* first and foremost. If
they are applying for broad upload rights, then they need to show a broad
grasp of packaging. If they are going for PPU, then they need to show that
they understand the packaging of the packages they are looking to upload.

Its not the only thing, but it should be where any prospective developer
starts, and the first thing they should demonstrate on their application.