New ISO images available : Lubuntu

Julien Lavergne gilir at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 26 21:52:46 UTC 2011

Hi Ubuntu developers,

New images have pop up on cdimage.ubuntu.com [1]. Finally, Lubuntu is
out of the Ubuntu factory :) [2]

For people who don't know Lubuntu, this is a quick presentation. Lubuntu
is a distribution based on Ubuntu, and the LXDE desktop environnement.
The main goal is to provide a very lightweight distribution, but with
all the advantages of the Ubuntu world (repositories, support ...).
Currently we are using :
- Chromium for the browser
- Openbox for the windows manager
- Pcmanfm for the file manager
- Abiword + Gnumeric for office work
- Pidgin for IM
- Audacious for playing music
- Gnome-mplayer for videos
- Some GNOME components : evince, file-roller, gnome-keyring
- Most of the LXDE components
You can find the complete list of applications by default on the wiki
[3].

After 2 years of work, and 3 "unofficial" releases (10.04, 10.10 and
11.04), we had recently an official go from the Technical Board and ISO
images are now made like other Ubuntu flavors. I hope the 11.10 will be
the 1st official release of Lubuntu as a member of the Ubuntu family :)

We have 2 important particularities. Like Xubuntu, we use another
GTK-based desktop environnement than GNOME, and we try to avoid
unnecessary GNOME depends which could slow the system. We need some
GNOME parts because LXDE doesn't provide all necessary components. It's
the reason why we are very careful about dependencies of those
applications.

We are also very strict with ressources requirement. It's the reason why
we don't include all Ubuntu specific applications. For example, we don't
include Software-Center because it's still a bit heavy for some of our
targets.

I would like to thanks all people who make this happen, especially Mark,
Colin and Emmet, and all people involved in the development of Lubuntu
and LXDE.

If you want to talk to the Lubuntu community, you can use our mailing
list (lubuntu-desktop at lists.launchpad.net) or IRC : #lubuntu on
Freenode. You can also find information on our wiki [3].

Thanks for your attention :)

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

[1] http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/
[2] It's still young images, which for now, are oversized, don't load
the desktop session, and have wrong splash images .. they should be
better in the futur :)
[3] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Applications
[4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu