"What I like least in Ubuntu"

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 26 09:40:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 04:06:16AM -0400, Jeremy Bicha wrote:
> On 26 July 2011 03:27, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio <a.starr.b at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:58 PM, Jeremy Bicha <jeremy at bicha.net> wrote:
>
> Why should I go through the bother of becoming an UCD as a
> prerequisite to further development privileges and responsibility if
> I'm already a Ubuntu Member?

You shouldn't. There's some misinformation being spread around.
Membership is a recognition of significant and sustained contribution.
It doesn't have anything to do with upload rights and is in no way a
prerequisite for getting them. You only need to apply for UCD or
whatever it becomes if you want to.

We certainly will always need to recruit new developers, but lowering
the barriers for membership is not the way to do it. Membership is well
defined and devaluing it will not help anyone. It's a recognition of
past good work. If people don't think membership is a thing worth
getting then that is another issue.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]