"What I like least in Ubuntu"

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Jul 25 15:26:41 UTC 2011

On Monday, July 25, 2011 11:11:43 AM Iain Lane wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 05:01:35PM +0200, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> > Hello everybody,

> > [...]
> >
> > > I think it's a fair point that UCD is confusing.  What it means is
> > > "Ubuntu member that got their membership based on development
> > > contribution and not some other kind".  Do we really need a different
> > > name for this?  It might be more clear to just have the DMB grant
> > > Ubuntu membership by name rather than have a separate name/team that
> > > doesn't actually mean anything different.
> >
> > I agree that the name is misleading and it's unfortunate that it
> > confuses applicants. It'd be good to change it something sensible. Even
> > if we just change it in the documentation.
>
> I just added a discussion item to the next DMB agenda to rename the team
> to Ubuntu Development Members. This is in line with the other delegated
> (non RMB) membership names, and I think is much less confusing.

The DMB is somewhat different than the other non-RMB membership boards because
the DMB grants membership based on type of contribution (development) rather
than area of contribution (Kubuntu/Edubuntu/etc), so I would not feel
constrained to follow their example too closely.  All of the membership boards
(including the RMBs) are delegated from the CC, so I also don't think it's
necessary to treat the RMBs specially in your discussion.

I think your proposed name change is definitely an improvement over UCD.  I'm
not sure it's better than just making them Ubuntu members.  I think it might
be useful to hear from current UCD members to see if they have a strong
feeling of affinity with UCD or having some distinct membership group for people
who got membership through development contributions.

Scott K