"What I like least in Ubuntu"

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 25 15:20:04 UTC 2011

On 25/07/11 10:42 AM, Iain Lane wrote:
>> Amounts of want-to-be-ubuntu-developer levels and their names are
>> misleading. I wanted to get rights to directly upload my packages and
>> when I discussed it with few developers I was told to apply for 'Ubuntu
>> Contributing Developer' (plus some text that MOTU status was replaced by
>> it from some long time Ubuntu devs).
>
> I want to know who holds this opinion, and to set them straight. MOTU is
> not dead or dying, and it's really rather unfortunate that this
> misinformation is being spread.

+1!

I come across this on a weekly basis and I don't know where it's coming
from. I have people at work who fix things all the time and upload it to
PPAs and when I ask them why they don't become MOTU so that they can fix
it directly in Ubuntu as well, they ask me "But isn't MOTU
dead/replaced/obsolete now?".

Sure there are package sets / per package uploaders now, but that
doesn't make people who specifically care about universe any less
important than they've ever been.

-Jonathan