Understanding the definitions and expectations of our membership processes

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 21 22:32:55 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 03:32:39PM -0400, Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Thursday, July 21, 2011 03:05:04 PM Iain Lane wrote:
> > Hello,

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > The point is that I believe there are cases where it makes sense to
> > > bestow Ubuntu membership on upstream-only individuals. When we create
> > > and enforce policy, we need to keep in mind that we may be forsaking
> > > valid corner-cases. Imo, A policy that says the DMB cannot grant
> > > membership to an upstream-only contributor is too restrictive. If
> > > anything, we should be as open as possible at the membership level.
> > > Spread the love!
> >
> > I didn't say that these people shouldn't be given membership. I said
> > that the DMB isn't the right board to do this. We're don't grant
> > membership to everyone who makes technical contributions. We grant
> > membership (and upload access) to people interested in doing Ubuntu
> > Development. This isn't excessive bureaucracy. It's a board not
> > overstepping its bounds and, frankly, its competence.
> >
> > As I said before, there's currently no way for people who are only
> > upstream contributors to get membership. The CC needs to decide how this
> > should work, and how the membership applications are to be handled.
>
> I disagree that a pure upstream membership path is appropriate.  It's been a
> long held project value that "Because you work for Canonical" doesn't get you
> special treatment in the project (either better or worse).  Treating Canonical
> sponsored upstream projects as anything other than the upstream projects they
> are would change that in a way I don't think we want.

Maybe it's not. All I want to say as part of the DMB is that it's not
for us. If someone wants this kind of membership then the CC is the
appropriate forum to discuss how it should work. Others can then make
their representations.

I should have said "…decide if and how…".

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]