Patch Piloting: how much of the extra mile do you go?

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 18 16:00:00 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

I'm interested to see how patch piloting works out for you as reviewers
and how much the workflows in our team differ.

When I did my shift last week I noticed that a couple of merge proposals
had their last comment saying "Would you mind forwarding the patch to
Debian/Upstream?" with no activity since. I guess many of us check the
bug or merge proposal later on again and dismiss it as something that
was already looked at. The problem is obvious: if the contributor has no
interest in doing this (or does not know how), it might sit there for a
very long time.

Another case I know of is "team branches" (read: non-UDD): in some case
the reply to the merge proposal was "we use these branches, can you
please update your branch?"

How do you deal with cases like this? I'm interested in this because of
different reasons:

 * Our review queue becomes quite large at times.
 * It would be nice if submitting a fix would be easy.
 * What can we do to improve things?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Have a great day,
 Daniel