Announcing packaging-dev

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 10 22:08:59 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am happy to announce that packaging-dev is available in oneiric,
natty-backports, maverick-backports, lucid-backports. packaging-dev is a
metapackage that depends on common packages useful for the development
of Debian-format packages, including patch management systems, build
systems, packaging macros, helpful scripts for developers, and tools for
building and testing packages.

sudo apt-get install packaging-dev

is a simple way to turn your newly installed Ubuntu system into a
packaging system.

The idea of this metapackage was initially discussed on Ubuntu IRC
channels and then brought to debian-devel [1,2] mailing list. I forgot
to bring it also up to this mailing list (which I do with this mail).

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/05/msg01034.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2011/06/msg00156.html

--
Benjamin Drung