Reminder to update timestamps before sponsoring (or maybe not :))

Stefano Rivera stefanor at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 7 08:32:45 UTC 2011

Hi Micah (2011.07.07_07:44:57_+0200)
> >> it in the last 24 hours.  One should try to update the timestamp
> >> before sponsoring/uploading a package.  This can be accomplished with
> >> either 'dch -m -r' for sponsoring or just 'dch -r' for one's own upload.
> > Why should one do this?
> Apparently I thought it was a good idea and was under the impression
> that it was widely done

With DEBCHANGE_RELEASE_HEURISTIC=changelog, dch won't touch a timestamp
while an entry is still UNRELEASED. When it's released (dch -r), often
by a sponsor, the timestamp is updated.

In debdiff / merge proposal reviews, if there are a few rounds of
review, the timestamp can get very out of date. Sometimes by months.
It's also quite common for sponsorees to edit the changelog without dch,
and thus not bump the timestamp.

sponsor-patch touches timestamps before uploading. I do it in my
sponsorship in Debian (team and single-maintainer) too.

> This seems counterintuitive to see something uploaded on a certain
> date, but dated much before then.

Yeah, I thank that's a pretty good reason to bump it.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera
  http://tumbleweed.org.za/