Restructuring ubuntu-dev-tools?

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu Jan 27 02:20:28 UTC 2011

On 27 January 2011 07:54, Benjamin Drung <bdrung at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ubuntu-dev-tools is a collection of script that should fall in this
> category:
>
> 1) useful only for packaging
> 2) useful only for Ubuntu
>
> I reviewed the scripts in ubuntu-dev-tools and found many that are
> useful for Debian developers or upstream developer who use Launchpad. I
> categorized the scripts.
>
> Should we move scripts from ubuntu-dev-tools to devscripts and lptools?

I think that would be great.  I would like to see lptools become a
general command-line interface that embraces everything people in
general might care to do with Launchpad from the command line.  I
spoke to dobey about this recently and I think he agrees - I am going
to merge Hydrazine in too.

By "people in general" I mean it doesn't need to include things that
are only for Ubuntu developers, or that scratch particular personal
itches.  But there are some very common things like adding a person to
a team or changing bug state or listing bugs that are pretty much
policy-free.  At the moment they are spread across a bunch of
different client tools, and therefore are needlessly inconsistent,
hard to find, and duplicative.

Something like 'hugdaylist' sounds like it might have embedded policy,
but perhaps it just needs a more neutral name.

--
Martin