Shall we hide the GUI for Hibernate in Natty?

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Mon Jan 31 19:51:42 UTC 2011

On Monday, January 31, 2011 02:40:36 pm Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 11:04:22AM -0800, Rick Spencer wrote:
> > Natty is currently NOT showing the Hibernate option in the list of
> > shutdown choices. This is currently an experiment, but I thought it
> > might be worth discussing the pros and cons on these lists as well.
> >
> > So, thoughts, discussion, feedback, options, suggestions, rants, raves,
> > etc... ?
>
> I used to use hibernate a lot, even though it was slow like mentioned in
> the original email, it was a nice way to save state.  Handy when on
> airplanes.
>
> But I agree it's so painfully slow and unreliable to be unusable in its
> present state.  Hiding the option in the menu and declaring it
> officially unsupported (but making it configurable and still callable
> from pm-utils and so on, just no bug reports) seems like a good
> approach.

I use it somewhat regularly, mostly when flying.  I agree it's slow, but
except when there's insufficient swap I'd had no problems with it.  When
there's insufficient swap it just fails so suspend and brings me back to my
desktop.

I understand that it's been disabled in the kernel, so we'd have to get that
fixed (my preference) before we could go with your plan.

Scott K