Lintian reports P: no-upstream-changelog even though its intended in Ubuntu

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 16 15:52:58 UTC 2011

Bilal Akhtar [2011-01-15 12:38 +0300]:
> 	During this cycle, the Ubuntu build environment was so modified to not
> install debian changelogs in the binary packages [1]. This change was
> made to reduce the size of binary packages. Also this change was
> reverted later on (IIRC).

In particular, it only keeps the topmost ten records of the Debian
changelog, and adds a pointer to apt-get changelog at the bottom.

> It now appears that dh_installchangelogs doesn't pick up the
> *upstream* changelog file from the source root and install it in
> /usr/share/doc/pkg/changelog.gz .

dh_installchangelogs does, but pkgbinarymangler removes upstream
changelogs from packages. See

  https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/performance-desktop-n-install-footprint

for detailled rationale.

> Moreover, Lintian still reports the P: no-upstream-changelog tag for all
> packages build in an Ubuntu environment.

Pedantic mode is not on by default, though, is it? If it's an issue,
we should just disable that from the Ubuntu package, but I haven't
seen this come up so far.

Thanks,

Martin