New X stack in xorg-edgers

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Sun Jan 16 06:49:35 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 03:07:39PM -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2011, at 12:54 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
> >We're going to be moving natty to its new X stack within the next week
> >or two.  This includes snapshots for the upcoming xserver 1.10 and mesa
> >7.10, along with some new driver bits.  Currently this stack is
> >available in xorg-edgers, and maps well to what we'll be uploading
> >shortly.
> >
> >You can help us pre-test these bits by installing xorg-edgers on your
> >systems at this time.  Our testing has shown it to be quite stable, but
> >the devil's in the corner cases when it comes to X, so your testing will
> >help us get a head's start on making it work better for your HW.
>
> I tested this in my Natty VMware Fusion VM (no OpenGL).  I snapshotted the VM
> just in case, did 'apt-get dist-upgrade', then rebooted.  Everything seemed to
> install and work just fine (though I did roll it back).
>
> I don't know if this is related but both with and without the new stack, I've
> noticed that Gnome Do's pop up window looks pretty corrupted when typing (lots
> of black with just the newly typed text showing up).  This is new in Natty as
> of Thursday I think.  If you're interested in a screen grab, let me know.

I'd prefer tracking issues like this via bug reports... file it via
running 'ubuntu-bug xorg' and attach a photo of the screen.

Offhand, there was a very minor mesa update on Thursday (just adding a
null pointer check).  You could try downgrading to (7.9+repack-1ubuntu3)
just in case.

Otherwise, if that doesn't do it, look in your /var/log/dpkg.log for
what else got upgraded Thursday and try downgrading each bit (you may
still have the .deb's in /var/cache/apt/archives/).

Bryce