Reducing rsyslog redundancy [was: brainstorming for UDS-N - Performance - disk footprint]

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 12 22:55:06 UTC 2011

Hello Steve,

Steve Langasek [2011-01-12 16:26 -0600]:
> Should there be a corresponding change to the default logrotate policy, to
> avoid creating 0-byte log files that mislead the admin?

I actually tested "logrotate -v -f /etc/logrotate.conf" and it seems
that the default configuration of "missingok" and "notifempty" do
their job:

considering log /var/log/daemon.log
  log /var/log/daemon.log does not exist -- skipping

I'd like to keep the files in the default logrotate configuration for
(1) upgrades, and (2) the case that the admin does re-enable them.

Thanks,

Martin