Installing drivers on USB sticks

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 4 22:53:54 UTC 2011

Hello Brian,

Brian Murray [2011-01-04 14:08 -0800]:
> I've recently discovered hundreds of bug reports regarding people trying
> to install drivers (bcmwl, fglrx, nvidia) on their Live USB version of
> Ubuntu and it failing[1].

There are two main reasons for this:

 - update-initramfs not working (http://launchpad.net/bugs/557023)

 - There is too little RAM on a live system to download, build,
   install, and run large drivers like nvidia and fglrx. Therefore
   these should be disabled on a live system. This is tracked in
   http://launchpad.net/bugs/685017, and I'll fix it for alpha-2.

It would still be nice to fix 557023 so that this at least works with
smaller drivers like broadcom-wl (this doesn't actually need
an initramfs update, I believe, but it might happen anyway).

> [3] http://launchpad.net/bugs/696656

Duped.

Thanks,

Martin