Shall we hide the GUI for Hibernate in Natty?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 2 03:15:33 UTC 2011

On 01/31/2011 03:00 PM, Marc Deslauriers wrote:
> Is there any data that suggests hibernate fails more often than suspend?
> I was under the impression that both would be broken when laptops
> weren't supported properly.

I was under the impression that it is the other way around.  Suspend
requires working ACPI support, but hibernate does not.

> I agree that having both suspend and hibernate is confusing to people.
> The only reason I often hibernate is when I know I won't be using my
> laptop for a while and am paranoid that I'll run out of battery while
> suspended.

I only suspend my laptop when I know it is for a brief period of time,
like while I move to another room.  If I am going to pack it away for a
few hours, I hibernate to save power.

That said, I wouldn't object to removing it from the menu by default, as
long as there is an easy way to turn it back on, like in the power
preferences applet.  People used to the functionality should not have to
ask for help on the forums and get instructions to run terminal commands
or edit some conf file.