Shall we hide the GUI for Hibernate in Natty?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Sat Feb 26 04:22:08 UTC 2011

On 01/31/2011 02:40 PM, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> But I agree it's so painfully slow and unreliable to be unusable in its
> present state.  Hiding the option in the menu and declaring it
> officially unsupported (but making it configurable and still callable
> from pm-utils and so on, just no bug reports) seems like a good
> approach.

I still wonder why you say it is so unreliable as to be unusable.  I
have never really had an issue with its reliability.  As for speed, I
started looking into it a bit today and I found that installing pm-utils
and uswsusp is an improvement over the default kernel handling.  It
looks like uswsusp compresses the image so writing it is faster, and it
has the ability to interface with two different splash screen packages
to display progress as it does so.  It also supports suspend to both.
It looks like the Ubuntu build disables splash support since Ubuntu uses
plymouth.

Would it not be a good idea to integrate uswsusp with plymouth and
enable it by default?