build-from-branch into the primary archive

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Tue Feb 22 20:29:15 UTC 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 09:23 AM, Clint Byrum wrote:

>Cool! I didn't know about that.

There's also debian-lp: prefix for Debian series branches in Launchpad (for
various reasons, we can't use just debian:).  Note however, that the series
must be spelled out for debian-lp: -- there are no abbreviations.

>At the moment, if a Vcs-Bzr tag does exist and one is using UDD, is one
>ever told about this?

Not by Bazaar afaik.

>My workflow right now is:
>
>First I check to make sure the package is in sync in UDD (anybody have a
>good one liner for this? I just look at the package overview right now
>which is not very efficient)

See step 0 in
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributedDevelopment/Documentation/GettingTheSource

for best known practice.  There's an open bug in udd on better warnings when
the package branch is out of date due to import failures.

>mkdir ~/pkg/$package && cd ~/pkg/$package && bzr init-repo bzr && cd bzr
>bzr branch lp:ubuntu/series/$package series && cd series
>-- make changes --
>bzr bd -S
>dput ppa:whatever file.dsc
>sbuild -A -d series-arch file.dsc

I do things very similarly, though usually I'm sbuild'ing before I dput to my
PPA.

>If all of that works I debcommit, push, and propose merging.. but I'm
>wondering at what point I might have been reminded of the Vcs-Bzr tag so
>I can go look there. I'm always reminded of it by 'apt-get source'. I
>know I've missed the existence of a branch before by not noting this
>very fact. Ideally bzr branch ubuntu:something would do the check and
>remind me at that point if the branch is different.

Yep.

-Barry