collecting Python 3 status information

Allison Randal allison at canonical.com
Mon Feb 21 06:54:44 UTC 2011

Matthias, Barry, and I are working on collecting information about
Python packages and when/whether they're planning to migrate to Python
3. Some of that information can only be collected manually, so we're
hoping to get some help. I've generated a wiki page of source packages
in main that depend on Python, as an open frame where anyone can contribute:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AllisonRandal/Python3Status

The highlighted rows are a higher priority because they're needed for
the CD (calculated from the seeds). The homepage is listed when the
package specified one, as a clue in the search. The page also lists
dependency details, to help in determining how much work is involved in
the migration: a package that directly depends on Python likely has more
Python code involved than a package that only indirectly depends on a
tool that depends on a library that depends on Python.

The information collected here won't just stay as a static wiki page,
I'll suck it into a database and use it in various reports and progress
checks. Ultimately, we'd like to make this information available to
python.org to help the overall Python 3 migration effort.

Thanks,
Allison