build-from-branch into the primary archive

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 19 13:43:06 UTC 2011

Barry Warsaw [2011-02-17 15:08 -0500]:
> Are you saying that you want to preserve dput as an upload option forever?  Do
> you see a future where dput *isn't* the interface for uploading a new package?

I strongly feel that we need to keep dput around for a long while.
While we are using bzr very extensively now, there are legitimate
cases where it's just impractical to do. In particular this affects
packages which are co-maintained in git together with Debian
(LibreOffice, udisks, upower, etc.), cases where our package is a git
branch of upstream (linux), or autogenerated packages which aren't
suitable for revision control at all (language packs, ubuntu-meta).

It would be an utter waste of bandwidth, storage space, CPU power, and
most of all human patience to import these into bzr for the sole
reason of uploading them.

Martin