Restructuring ubuntu-dev-tools?

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 18 01:26:02 UTC 2011

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for looking at this!

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 09:54:54PM +0100, Benjamin Drung wrote:
> ubuntu-dev-tools is a collection of script that should fall in this
> category:

> 1) useful only for packaging
> 2) useful only for Ubuntu

> I reviewed the scripts in ubuntu-dev-tools and found many that are
> useful for Debian developers or upstream developer who use Launchpad. I
> categorized the scripts.

> Should we move scripts from ubuntu-dev-tools to devscripts and lptools?

I think this is a good idea, with the proviso that I don't think we should
carry new scripts in the Ubuntu devscripts package as a delta against
Debian; we should keep them in ubuntu-dev-tools until they are properly
upstreamed.

> development specific, but not for Ubuntu only (could go into devscripts)

> add-patch
> check-symbols

Should this be transitioned to use dpkg-gensymbols instead?  It should at
least advise maintainers to support dpkg-gensymbols in their packages.

> edit-patch

The utility is clear, but I guess there would be some resistance to
upstreaming this in light of the v3 source format work.

> get-build-deps

You know, I never knew this existed?  Maybe ubuntu-dev-tools needs better
namespacing of commands in general...  anyway, this is a tool I've argued
for a while should be a standard interface provided by dpkg/apt.  (without
the pbuilder part, that is...)  dpkg-checkbuilddeps isn't very pipeable into
apt, as it is today.

Anyway, long story short, should definitely be worked upstream :-)

> merge-changelog

Should be rebased on top of dpkg-mergechangelogs, or maybe merged with it
entirely.

> pull-debian-source (?)

Seems Ubuntu specific to me; in Debian one just runs 'apt-get source' after
all...

Cheers,