Shall we hide the GUI for Hibernate in Natty?

Chris Jones chris.jones at canonical.com
Thu Feb 3 11:22:29 UTC 2011

Hi

On 31/01/11 21:57, Steve Langasek wrote:
> If the hardware supports resuming from suspend when the battery is
> critically low, this Just Works with no input from Ubuntu.  Then

FWIW I think this is an awful idea. If my laptop is suspended, it's in
my bag. Waking it up while it's in my bag and doing a bunch of hard work
means it's going to get very hot. Any mistakes mean it's going to sit
there all night/flight until it runs out of battery or the CPU melts. My
experience with unexplained in-bag resume events suggests that the CPU
overheating point comes first. I would much rather lose some state than
physically damage my hardware!

I would suggest we copy the strategy used by certain proprietary vendors
- give the appearance of suspending quickly (i.e. turn the video off),
then write out RAM to disk, then actually suspend.
Given the potentially unreliable nature of suspending and the time
required to write out several GB of RAM, perhaps this 'advanced' suspend
should only be enabled by default on certified hardware.

Cheers,
--
Chris Jones
  cmsj at canonical.com