Kicking off the ubuntu-packaging-guide project

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Wed Feb 2 17:50:26 UTC 2011

Hello everybody,

We are ready to start the new Ubuntu Packaging Guide project. After long
discussions we finally figured out a workflow for how we'll run the project.

  * The code lives in lp:ubuntu-packaging-guide.
  * Bugs (problems, typos, requests for new guides, etc.) can be filed
    at https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-packaging-guide/+filebug
  * Please claim bugs by setting as "In Progress" and assigning to
    yourself when you begin work on a new section, to prevent overlap.
  * Every substantive change by every member (and every new guide) will
    have to be reviewed by a member of ~ubuntu-packaging-guide-team
    (right now that's ~ubuntu-dev and ~ubuntu-core-doc) member. We'll
    use merge proposals for that.
  * We will merge existing content of
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide into the guide. The
    following wiki categories will help us figure out what still needs
    doing.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryPackagingGuideNeedsPolicyReference
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CategoryPackagingGuideNeedsUpdate
  * For now we settled on using sphinx (http://sphinx.pocoo.org/) using
    ReStructured text -
    http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/user/rst/quickstart.html). The
    decision was not taken lightly. Almost every third contribution to
    the discussion was "Hey, why don't you guys use <some other
    toolkit>?". In the end the quality of the output, the different
    output methods, the ease of use and a high number of "+1" from
    people who already agreed to write guides made the decision a bit
    easier.  (If this does not pan out, there are a number of
    rst2* tools that should help us move to something else.)
  * Packaging for the new guide already exists, so we can hopefully
    include it in the archive.
  * We will set up a daily build and publish the guides online. Place
    has still to be decided.
  * Once we're sufficiently happy with the guides, we'll set up
    redirects from the wiki.

We are delighted to kick this off; there are a number of people
willing to help. Please chip in with new guides and fixes to existing
ones, this is one of the most important efforts to get new developers
started and the existing wiki guide has long lacked maintenance.

As a license we will use CC-BY-SA v3.0+ (this is considered DFSG free).

Thanks a lot in advance.

-- the Ubuntu Packaging Guide hackers