Boot hangs after Oneiric update

Tim Ingalls tim at ideadynamics.com
Tue Dec 27 20:05:08 UTC 2011

Barry Warsaw <barry <at> ubuntu.com> writes:

> On Jul 26, 2011, at 04:43 PM, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>
> >I just updated my laptop VM and now the boot hangs.  Here's the status from
> >Landscape about what got updated.  Note that this is an Oneiric machine
> >that's been working for quite a while.  It's gotta be one of the packages in
> >this list, because the previous update I did via Landscape also required me to
> >reboot and that worked out just fine.
> >
> >The last thing I see is "Checking battery state...  [OK]"
> >
> >Any thoughts?  Anybody else seeing boots hang now with an up-to-date Oneiric?
>
> Seb helped out in #ubuntu-devel.  Apparently I was a little to eager for
> update/reboot.  If you hit this problem, switch to a vt and apt-get install
> lightdm-gtk-greeter.
>
> -Barry

Installing lightdm-gtk-greeter works, but I also found that the problem was that
unity-greeter wasn’t installed. I think the problem was that unity-greeter was
being called by the /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf file but since it wasn’t
installed, it was just stalling.

Anyway, by doing a: sudo apt-get install unity-greeter
it fixed the situation and the machine boots. I also have the
lightdm-gtk-greeter installed, but it isn’t being used.

I am not sure why the unity-greeter wasn’t installed. My upgrade failed and I
had to restart it, but for some reason, starting the upgrade over didn’t solve
the problem. I wonder if maybe the upgrade installer didn’t like my hardware or
something.

To check to see if your unity-greeter is installed, run the following command:

dpkg --get-selections | grep unity-greeter