Call for testing: Upstart 1.4 in Ubuntu
james.hunt at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 22 22:01:29 UTC 2011
We're looking to land Upstart 1.4 in Ubuntu Precise early January 2012. If you have an Ubuntu
Precise test system  and you'd like to help with testing these new features, read on...
= New Features =
The two main new features are:
- new 'setuid' and 'setgid' stanzas
Allows you to specify the user and group a job runs as
(this should help minimize the intricate su/sudo/start-stop-daemon command-lines)
- Logging of job output for system jobs 
Job logging is enabled by default in 1.4. Since this is the first version of Upstart
that writes to *any* files, this is quite a big change. 3 new command-line options
have been added to support this feature:
'--no-log' (disable logging entirely)
'--logdir=DIR' (specify alternate log directory)
'--default-console=VALUE' (specify default value for 'console' stanza).
= How to Obtain the Upstart 1.4 Package =
please add the following 'upstart-job-logging' PPA  to your system and give it a spin:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jamesodhunt/upstart-job-logging
= Feedback =
Please provide feedback via a bug report:
= Further Details on Features =
Full details on these features can be found in the usual places:
Thanks for your help.
 - Usual caveats apply: do *not* install this on any critical systems.
 - Two limitations to be aware of:
- logging *only* currently applies to system jobs,
- any job that produces output and ends *before* the disk becomes writeable
will not currently have output logged.
Note: both limitations are currently being addressed.
 - https://launchpad.net/~jamesodhunt/+archive/upstart-job-logging
More information about the ubuntu-devel