is utf-8 the standard filename encoding?

Martin Packman martin.packman at canonical.com
Wed Dec 21 18:26:02 UTC 2011

On 21/12/2011, Steve Langasek <steve.langasek at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Regardless of any other issues, this is either an Ubuntu bug or a very
> strange local misconfiguration.  /etc/pam.d/cron is set up to pull in
> /etc/default/locale by default, and on an Ubuntu system, barring extreme
> measures on the part of the system admin, my understanding is that this
> should always define a UTF-8 locale.

Bazaar had a number of etckeeper related bugs along these lines from
users on 11.10 and only one of these has a suspect locale setting:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/etckeeper/+bug/791839
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bzr/+bug/796855
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/bzr/+bug/836107

Likely the defaults are correct, but there still seems to be no
shortage of people who end up with 'ANSI_X3.4-1968' in some
circumstances anyway.

Martin