is utf-8 the standard filename encoding?

Rodney Dawes rodney.dawes at canonical.com
Wed Dec 21 19:47:52 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 11:28 -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > This isn't quite true. There is a complicated set of environment
> > variables, and checks in the code, to ensure that display is always
> > UTF-8, but it generally handles non-UTF-8 filenames gracefully.
>
> It's graceful compared to a python backtrace, but AFAIK it doesn't actually
> get you access to the files with wrong names?

It does. I just discovered some songs that I had, which had their
filenames encoded in latin1 (accented chars), and they had been
playing just fine all along in my player. The metadata was OK, but
the filenames themselves were broken when looking at them inside
Nautilus, where they had garbage chevrons and such.