Using webkit 1.8 for the LTS(?)

Rodney Dawes rodney.dawes at canonical.com
Thu Dec 1 00:01:26 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 23:41 +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 29.11.2011, 20:27 -0500 schrieb Rodney Dawes:
> > On Tue, 2011-11-29 at 19:55 +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> > > What is your take on using webkit 1.8? Is that choice good for other
> > > teams? Is there any issue or concern you have about updating?
> >
> > As an aside, but also a valid issue, regardless of the version we go
> > with… are there any sort of plans on getting Flash working inside the
> > GTK3 version of webkit, out of the box?
>
> "Thanks to the multiprocess architecture, WebKit2GTK+ solves the problem
> of using flash (or any other plugin using GTK+2) with GTK+3. The UI
> process depends unconditonally on GTK+3 and the plugin process is always
> built with GTK+2. And of course, flash will never crash or block your
> web browser. Plugins are broken in WebKitGTK+ 1.7.1 due to a bug that
> has already been fixed, so in order to try it out you need to either
> wait until 1.7.2 is released or build WebKit from current git master."
>
> http://blogs.igalia.com/carlosgc/2011/11/04/webkit2-gtk-minibrowser-ported-to-gtk-api/

This is indeed true. But as Micah mentioned already, I don't think we
are going to be using WebKit2. If we can, that would be neat, as there
are some other nice changes too. Is it the default build for 1.8 yet?

If we can't go with WebKit2, some other solution would have to happen
for Flash to be usable. Are there any plans for that case, is my
question. :)