FYI: Apport retracers are back

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 24 09:14:16 UTC 2011

Hello all,

as Sebastien announced a while ago, the Apport crash retracers had
been broken for several weeks because fakechroot has pretty much
stopped doing anything sensible in oneiric, so our approach with
constructing chroots, and using fakeroot/fakechroot to do the
reprocessing in them stopped working.

Yesterday I reengineered the whole thing, using some shiny gdb options
which weren't available back then, so that the retracers now work
without any chrooting. This also resulted in apport-retrace now being
a lot more useful locally (it just works in a temp directory instead
of installing packages and ddebs into your working system). I'll clean
up the branch and merge it into trunk soon.

For now the branch is rolled out into the DC, and retracing
works again. Barring more LP timeouts to work around, it should catch
up with the backlog in the next days.

Martin