Error database requirements

Rick Spencer rick.spencer at canonical.com
Fri Aug 12 05:53:25 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-12 at 12:41 +1200, Robert Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:

> > 2.  I notice the Windows crash reporter includes buttons to check for
> >    existing solutions.  Is that something we'd like to consider as a
> >    requirement for this?
<snip>
> - allowing users to follow up on their report [if desired - note that
> Microsoft's tool *used* to do this, now they don't]

I think that the purpose of the this project needs to stay focused on
help us figure out which are the widespread crashers that are impacting
users in a stable release and should therefore be fixed via SRUs.

Therefore, I think this effort needs to stay targeted at *collecting*
data from *all* will users. I don't think this should be an interactive
feature designed only for technical users (who care to follow up on bug
reports or try to puzzle out how to solve their problems).

We should, therefore, minimize or even eliminate user interactivity, and
collect the minimum data necessary to correlate crash reports.

Cheers, Rick