Crash database requirements (was: The need for apport hooks (was: Re: SRUs for typo fixes in descriptions))

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 8 06:25:30 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-07 at 22:46 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:

> > > I agree.  As designed, apport files a new bug report for each crash,
> > > which can quickly lead to excessive numbers of dupe bug reports (there
> > > are ways of making apport auto-dupe, but this takes effort to set up and
> > > isn't always 100% reliable).  This can quickly become unmanageable
> > > especially for packages that lack someone to keep an eye on the bug
> > > reports.
> > >
> > > In any case, these types of reports post-release are most useful in
> > > aggregate rather than as individual bug reports.  If they were filed in
> > > some ultra simple crash database (with no signup required of the user)
> > > we could get most of the value without incurring a lot of extra bug
> > > labor.
> > Has this very thing not been proposed? We should discuss doing this for
> > 12.04.
>
> It's been propsed and discussed previously, like ScottK mentioned.  The
> issue has been finding someone with time to work on it.

I know it's been proposed and discussed previously, and I believe Robert
Collins both wants something similar for Launchpad and has done some
work towards making it happen.

I don't know if we've actually written down what we want out of a crash
database, though.  Do we have a requirements document for one?  If the
Launchpad team wanted to devote some time to adding a crash database do
they know what we want out of such a beast?

Is there a LEP for a crash database?  If not, perhaps we could gather
requirements in this thread and then write one?

Chris