DMB: Proposal for a different review process

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at canonical.com
Wed Aug 3 20:36:54 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 12:50 PM, Allison Randal wrote:
> On 08/03/2011 12:23 PM, Chase Douglas wrote:
>> On 08/03/2011 12:14 PM, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
>>>
>>> Split votes go to the mailing list to try to find enough +1s after a meeting.
>>> Board members can email in advance a +1/-1 if they have no questions
>>> (either because they didn't to start with or because they already
>>> talked to the person)
>>>
>>> The only time I've seen the application be done *completely* in email
>>> was when there was a 9-person-ish queue.
>>
>> Ok, that's evidence of what's been done in the past, but what is the
>> policy? Can I do it myself? I'm asking because I seriously would rather
>> do apply through email than get up at 6 AM on a Monday morning, hoping
>> there's a quorum :).
>
> In my experience with various projects and communities, review processes
> that are done entirely by email or bug queues are generally less
> responsive, not more responsive. Regular time-based meetings are a
> useful social motivator. And, as an applicant, a multi-week email thread
> picking over their credentials is likely to be far more daunting than a
> quick discussion on IRC.
>
> But, this is a decision for the DMB, or if they choose to escalate it, a
> decision for higher community authorities. They understand the concern
> raised by several community members (including you), so it's time to
> step back and allow the community process to operate.

Maybe my problem is that I'm asking in the wrong forum or the wrong way.
I have this legitimate question for the board, so how do I ask it? I
asked Mackenzie because it naturally flowed in the email thread, but
she's just one member of the board, so it might have seemed I was
singling her out.

Do I simply need to sit and wait for a response on this thread, or do I
need to ask somewhere else? I really don't mean to badger with questions
on the list, it's only because I can't find any information on how else
to interact with the board.

Thanks!

-- Chase