DMB: Proposal for a different review process

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at
Wed Aug 3 18:32:58 UTC 2011

On 08/03/2011 09:18 AM, Oliver Grawert wrote:
> hi,
> Am Dienstag, den 02.08.2011, 09:33 -0700 schrieb Chase Douglas:
>> Hi all,
>> Yesterday I attempted to attend a DMB meeting, but unfortunately only
>> two members showed so there wasn't a quorum. I think I've been to about
>> an equal number of meetings where quorum has and has not been reached
>> :(. This led me to think that there must be a better way to handle DMB
>> proceedings.
>> My proposal would be to do away with formal meetings, at least for
>> evaluating typical applications, and move them to Launchpad. Create a
>> project (maybe "ubuntu-developer-membership") and then have people open
>> bugs when they have something to bring up before the board. Here's an
>> example of a bug I would create for this:
> so you would turn a very important piece of community socialization into
> a plain formal buerocratic process, sorry but that doesnt feel like
> "linux for human beings" ...

/!\ Warning: The following represents how things seemed to me when I
went before a previous DMB. It may not apply to the current DMB, and if
so please excuse.

I don't think the DMB process is an important piece of community
socialization at all. I doubt many people pay attention to it if they
don't have a specific need to. There are much better and more important
social pieces of Ubuntu. I just want to make this piece as painless as

For me personally it feels like a bureaucratic process already, though I
don't think that can be helped much. It's a vetting process, and no one
really likes to be vetted.

> the meetings and direct conversation are an essential social bit of the
> membership process. while i agree there should be fallbacks for special
> cases so that people *can* use mail or special web forms if needed,
> using such a process as default to me looks like we moving away from our
> spirit completely ...
> please dont turn the processes into unpersonal bruerocracy, while that
> works for many things i still like to think of ubuntus community as
> something that can do better and impose humanity towards others (since
> we still advertise that), especially for such an important step like
> entering said community.

I feel the process is already impersonal. Every time I've gone in front
of the board there was no social aspect to it. The only way it could be
conceived as social was that it was real-time communication. However,
that belies the fact that it was bland back and forth about details and
circumstances. If the DMB wants to make this process a "social" one, it
needs to re-evaluate how the meetings are driven. I don't think that's
necessary though.

-- Chase