Help with ubuntu-docs - removal of firefox-homepage update-alternative

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 30 22:59:46 UTC 2011

Hi there,

Back in the dapper release cycle we introduced a system of
update-alternatives to specify the location of the firefox default
homepage depending on whether Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu or Edubuntu was
installed [1].

Firefox has long since moved to its own network detection and
online/offline page, but the offline browser page and the
update-alternatives are still carried in ubuntu-docs. I believe they
are still used by epiphany but I think the solution adopted by firefox
is appropriate and want to remove the browser homepage and
update-alternatives from ubuntu-docs in Oneiric.

As far as I can see this entails running the command
"update-alternatives --remove-all firefox-homepage" and removing the
directory /usr/share/ubuntu-artwork and subdirectories during the
installation of ubuntu-docs but my packaging knowledge is not
appropriate to deal with this and I would really appreciate some
assistance!

Could someone help me with how to achieve this?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperFirefoxStartPageTranslation

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org