Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Serge Hallyn serge.hallyn at canonical.com
Thu Apr 21 17:35:18 UTC 2011

Quoting Luke Faraone (luke at faraone.cc):
> Besides alienating developers ("Ubuntu is making me do what?"), it'll
> cause user frustration as apps which used to work in 10.10 and previous
> will fail in 11.04. I don't have numbers, but I'd expect most of the
> GtkStatusIcon-using universe has not been ported, nor will there be
> immediate upstream interest in doing so.
>
> Unless we have a very good reason (which so far has yet to be presented,
> beyond "its better UX"), we should maintain support for applications
> using the (still supported in Gtk2!) API.

Just to be clear, I'm not even talking at that level.  I'd prefer to
continue supporting them, but not supporting them in unity isn't
so bad.  Users can work around that.  Or use another wm.  (Maybe it
just doesn't bother me bc I never much liked apps requiring the
panel, since I preferred dwm/wmii)

It's telling application writers that they are doing the wrong thing
and that they won't be packaged in Ubuntu that I was referring to.

-serge