Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 21 10:25:40 UTC 2011

Matthew Paul Thomas [2011-04-21 10:47 +0100]:
> Regardless of how good or bad that process was, it is not reasonable to
> *then* say that Ubuntu application developers "have every right to use"
> everything that's "adopted upstream in GNOME/GTK". That would mean
> Ubuntu's APIs should be beholden to whatever Gnome Shell does or does
> not need.

TBH I have some difficulty parsing this, but I wasn't actually
speaking about the indicator part. Of course we, and app developers,
can and should use the API, as it provides a better and more
consistent user interface.

What I meant is that GtkStatusIcon is an official GTK API still, and
as long as it is I don't think it's beneficial or polite to
deliberately break this, as it currently causes so many broken
applications.

> There's a good example. Qt includes a Qt::Drawer window type, for use in
> Mac applications. Does that mean Compiz in Ubuntu should implement
> drawers? Of course not. It might be suitable for Mac applications, but
> it isn't suitable for Ubuntu applications. In the same way,
> GtkStatusIcon might be suitable for Windows applications, but it isn't
> suitable for Ubuntu applications.

GtkStatusIcon has been suitable and working for Ubuntu applications
for many years, while Qt::Drawer never was.

> The concession for Skype is because Skype is proprietary (so we can't
> fix it ourselves) and develops very slowly.

The "develops slowly" and "can't fix ourselves" is also true for a lot
of universe/third party free software packages.

But I guess at this point we just need to agree to disagree about
this.

Thanks, and happy Easter holidays,

Martin