Missing panel items (was Re: Default Desktop Experience for 11.04 - User testing results)

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 18 15:11:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 9:12 AM, Stefano Rivera <stefanor at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Barry (2011.04.18_15:02:06_+0200)
>> * The weather notifier is missing.  I really like this little notifier so I
>>   know when to throw open the windows and get some fresh air!
>
> Having a configurable date format would also be really nice.
>
>> * System monitor.  I like this little applet because it gives me a quick way
>>   to take the pulse of my system.   How hard it's running, is there a lot of
>>   network activity going on, etc.
>
> Really really miss that. My laptop's fan volume is a poor substitute for
> system-monitor. I feel blind without it.

Shameless plug here, but Byobu supports monitoring everything
system-monitor does (processor, memory, network, swap, load, disk),
and many, many more (like Stefano's fan speed).  For those that spend
most of their time in a terminal, it might temporarily fill this gap
until hopefully these land in Unity one day.

I don't know if you're a user, Barry, if you file a bug against byobu
for a weather status notification, I'll get that working too!

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland
Ubuntu Core Developer