Default Desktop Experience for 11.04 - User testing results

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 16 19:05:37 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-15 at 03:00 +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:

> Rick Spencer wrote on 08/04/11 02:38:
> > Back at UDS for 11.04 in Orlando, Mark set the goal of using Unity by
> > default on the Ubutu desktop. Given the current course of development,
> > it appears that we are going to achieve this goal, and Unity will stay
> > the default for 11.04.
> >
> > I'm following up on this list at the suggestion of the Tech Board to
> > give folks a chance to respond or escelate any concerns.
>
> Last week, Charline Poirier ran a user test of Unity, with 11 individual
> participants. This week, I have helped Charline analyze the results.

<snip>

Wonderful work, and now very visible work:
http://news.slashdot.org/story/11/04/16/0239213/5-Out-of-11-Crashed-Unity-In-Canonicals-Study ;-)

I think this feedback points to a series of design and engineering bugs
that we need to resolve in 11.10. Have the design bugs been filed in
Launchpad?

I think it could be worthwhile to rate the prioritization of the design
bugs based upon the level of success in your study. As an example, if
1/12 achieved a task, it would be a high priority bug, as opposed to if
10/12 achieved the task it would be a low priority bug.

I just want to ensure that we build this feedback into the design and
engineering iteration process.

	Jono

--
Jono Bacon