Default Desktop Experience for 11.04 - User testing results

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Fri Apr 15 18:25:20 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 07:08:02AM -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 22:48 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 03:00:31AM +0100, Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
> > > *   8/10 people could find a window's menus, but 7/8 of them learned to
> > > *   Only 4/11 worked out how to change the background picture.
> > > *   6/10 could easily find and launch a game that wasn't in the
> > > *   Only 1/9 (P4) easily added that game to the launcher.
> > > *   9/11 people could easily close a window.
> > > *   8/9 easily copied text from one document into another.
> > > *   Only 5/10 could easily delete a document
> >
> > These seven items in particular seem like really basic tasks that ought
> > to be testing at >90%, so these stats seem a lot lower than I'd expect.
> Well, think back to the last time you got a new device.

No, I definitely agree there, but this is why I suggested a control
group - to help understand if it's just ordinary newbie level learning
curve stuff.  Like, maybe with Classic Desktop only 2/10 new users could
find a new game (esp. if they're equating USC with the recycling bin...)
so 6/10 with unity would be a huge step forward.  On the other hand if
with Classic it's at 9/10 then I think you'd be right that it's an area
needing further attention.

In any case, I'm loving the numbers, you know how much I geek out on
quantification of issues.  :-)

I would love to see this same test repeated again every so often, so we
can chart the results and use them to demonstrate that we're getting
better.

mpt's additional info adds a lot more context to the numbers and makes
them sound a lot less troublesome, but I'll comment against that one
separately.

Bryce