Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Roth Robert evfool at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 15:03:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

As an opinion related to the topic (to appindicator or not to
appindicator/to systray or not to systray):
I don't know whether this is feasible or not (in some languages it is, in
others it is not), but why not support legacy tray items with custom
appindicators?
As there is legacy systray support in the Unity top panel, I guess we know
about all the GtkStatusIcon ... can't we find the menus and actions
associated with them ?
There are some cases for systray apps:
1) The app does something on left-click, and shows a menu on right click ->
in this case, the menu should be migrated to an application indicator, which
has an additional item before/after the menu items for the left-click
functionality.
2) The app has separate actions for left and righ-click -> application
indicator with two items (not fully compliant to HIG, but remember, this is
a fallback solution)
3) The same case as in 1), only the buttons are switched (rare case, but
happens) : leftclick shows menu, right-click takes a specific action.

To visually fit, I guess it is possible to draw any icon from the "fallback
tray" in monochrome, so that way it would be "sort of" consistent (as icons
designed to be monochrome are far better then desaturated icons) visually,
and behavior-wise too, as you could use the left-right-up-down keys to
navigate in menus/switch between indicators ...

Robert