/etc/init.d/* status .. what to do when transitioning to an upstart job?

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 14 20:37:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 3:11 PM, Kees Cook <kees at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>> > Why should this be external to upstart? This seems to me like a clearly
>> > missing feature in upstart itself. (i.e. a "status" stanza for services
>> > that need a non-passive check.)

I agree, and we did talk about it at UDS-Natty in Orlando.  SJR
disagreed with this vehemently, as I recall.

>> +1 on an optional, specific "status" stanza in upstart scripts. When
>> present, it could be automatically called as a post-start before
>> "started" is emitted, and would also be called when "status" is used.
>
> Has anything happened with this? Would this make a good UDS topic?

I'd think it would be a good one to re-visit, perhaps starting with a
brief review of where we left it 6 months ago.  This is *definitely*
something I personally miss, once an init script is converted to an
upstart job.  "status $foo" tells me almost nothing interesting for
most of my values of $foo today :-(

--
:-Dustin

Dustin Kirkland