Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 14 13:54:40 UTC 2011

Scott Kitterman [2011-04-14  9:49 -0400]:
> Unless it's a package developed specifically for Ubuntu, it's really not a bug
> in the package from an upstream perspective.

To the contrary. GtkStatusIcon is an official API from GTK, so people
have every right to use it; we can hardly claim that it's a bug
(although we have good reason to not recommend using it, of course).

As I now kept saying for many times, as long as we don't get the
indicator concept adopted upstream in GNOME/GTK (e. g. dropping the
GtkStatusIcon in GTK 4), I don't see us having a good rationale for
completely disabling them.

> I doubt it's supportable to deal with Ubuntu patches for all the
> relevant Universe packages.

Right, but that's not even everything. We are encouraging app
developers to build software for Ubuntu using Gtk or Qt, and there's a
lot of third-party software which should also work well on Ubuntu as
well. Why did we make a concession for Skype and Java, but not for
others?

Martin