Default Desktop Experience for 11.04

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 09:56:48 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 10:33 +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> Martin,
>
> am Thu, Apr 07, 2011 at 10:47:15PM -0400 hast du folgendes geschrieben:
> > On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 18:38 -0700, Rick Spencer wrote:
> > > Note that there are some arguments for changing the default from Unity
> > > to "classic' GNOME:
> > But what is available isn't classic ubuntu gnome... at least not in
> > testing so far:
> >
> > - Windows menus
> > + Global menus
> > - Ubuntu "Menu bar" widget
> > + GNOME "Main Menu" widget
>
> what I find really annoying is the lack of the default GNOME applets which are
> even advertised in the gnome-applets package description.  Where has the volume
> applet gone?  Yes, it was replaced by indicators, but can we please get it back
> at least manually?
>
> When I deactivate/remove the indicators I get some back in the systray (like nm
> and bluetooth) after re-login but they all miss their icons.  (The icon is
> replaced by the icon missing symbol.)
>
> (And yes, given that it isn't my laptop that's influenced by Canonical's design
> decisions, I didn't report those as bugs yet.)
>
> Some instructional page on the wiki how to revert to classic GNOME would be
> helpful, too.
>
> Kind regards
> Philipp Kern

Have Gnome not done away with the notification area in 3.0 also in which
case how do their apps handle not having the notification area.

We now have the blue Ubuntu indicator when an application requires
viewing so I don't particularly see not having an indicator as an issue
as long as the application icon shows up in the app launcher.  If we
went with gnome 3.0 people would have the same complaint it's a new
desktop shell get over it.

I have 2 boxes that I run all day my laptop on Natty Unity and my main
desktop on maverick,  I keep wondering where the launcher is on
maverick, as I have the key application setup there that I use all day.

I can't wait to upgrade my main desktop but that won't be till stable is
released.
--
Seek That Thy Might Know

http://www.davmor2.co.uk