Using something better than Gobby for session notes at UDS

Alan Bell alan.bell at theopenlearningcentre.com
Thu Apr 7 18:13:36 UTC 2011

I was the one who did the demo of our little memory constrained Etherpad
server at UDS-M and yes, a room full of developers all loading the user
interface of the same pad all at once did cause it to run out of memory
pretty quick, however that was purely a function of it not being set up
to scale like that, there are loads of etherpad servers running out
there on the internet quite cheerfully with many many users on them.
Primarypad in particular is a good comparison as loads of schools use
that and connect a classroom at a time.
There were concerns raised about moving to etherpad and access to that
with Orca, this reminds me of the last UDS when we did move at the last
minute to gobby-0.5 which I understand was fully inaccessible to Orca at
the time. I tested it today on Natty with Orca and the good news there
is that gobby-0.5 now does work reasonably well with Orca. I tried
etherpad with orca too. In Firefox it worked OK, reading out text as I
moved about and echoing text back to me as I typed. It seemed to get a
bit confused by echoing by word. It isn't perfect, but I think it would
be great to use Etherpad and use UDS as an opportunity to try it out and
file bugs where there are rough edges.
Does anyone know whether the "delete a page brings down the whole
server" issue has actually been fixed on gobby.ubuntu.com? Heh, scrub
that, just tested it! Someone might like to file an RT to get the server
turned back on.

I think someone on the UDS team needs to decide whether to stick with
the tried, tested, and failed gobby or rock on with Etherpad.

Alan.