Should PPAs be forced to specify a ~ppa1 or similar in the package version?

Raphaël Pinson raphink at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 2 15:48:37 UTC 2011

2011/4/2 Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org>:
> Of course things like apt pinning are going to be the ultimate arbiter,
> but it would be nice to do what we can within the naming standards since
> it's so much simpler to deal with.  At the very least we can have some
> defaults to expect (eg ppas will be replaced by packports unless the ppa
> specifies a release version)

Right, I agree. If we can come to an agreement, it would even be
better to publish a policy for it, and many indicate when a PPA
follows it, so users can actually expect the given PPA to follow these
rules and trust that the versions on this PPA will play nice with the
official and backported packages.

Raphaël