Should PPAs be forced to specify a ~ppa1 or similar in the package version?

Raphaël Pinson raphink at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 2 15:29:43 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
> On 04/02/2011 08:08 AM, Felix Geyer wrote:
>> On 02.04.2011 16:36, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>>> My practice is to us ~ppa1 when targeting the development release and
>>> ~release1~ppa1 for previous releases.  This has the advantage of naturally
>>> upgrading to an official backport if one is done since they use a ~releaseX
>>> numbering scheme.  For all the reasons Scott argued for ~ppaX, I think
>>> ~release1~ppaX is the right answer for non-development releases
>>
>> That version scheme breaks once we are in the q-series as the p-codename
>> might be > "ppa".
>>

> Shouldn't official backports replace ppa packages anyway?

That release depends on the goal of the PPA. If it's just to provide
backport versions, then sure, that makes sense. But if the PPA
provides additional features (some bindings activated, a compilation
flag set, etc.), then no. I think though that it's the sysadmins' task
to set their apt_preferences correctly in order to ensure that they
get the version they consider to be prioritary. Backports and PPAs
provide versions, but it's up to the machine admin to choose which
version to install.

Raphaël