[Oneiric-Foundations-Topic]Python Goals

Barry Warsaw barry at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 1 16:58:37 UTC 2011

On Apr 01, 2011, at 12:50 AM, Scott Kitterman wrote:

>For Python, I'd like to see us drop 2.6 and make 2.7 the default during the
>toolchain setup (and before the first autosync run).  This will (obviously)
>need to be agreed befor UDS.

+1

>For Python 3, we should drop python3.1 at the same time.

+1

>For a developmental goal during the cycle I think we should shoot for at
>least experimental support for Python3 as the Python that is shipped on the
>various Ubuntu ISOs.  There is a lot of upstream third party support starting
>to appear and the packaging infrastructure and policy for Python3 is maturing
>rapidly.  At the UDS for Lucid we set a nominal goal of having Python3
>desktops for the following LTS.  If we're going to have a chance of
>accomplishing this at an acceptable level of risk for an LTS cycle we need to
>be close for oneric.

Agreed.  Can you elaborate on what "experimental support for Python3 as the
Python that is shipped on the various Ubuntu ISOs" means to you?  Does that
mean no Python 2.7 on the ISO?  Also, by "experimental" do you mean having a
process for creating alternative CDs that have only Python 3.2 but not on the
standard daily CDs?

-Barry