brainstorming for UDS-N - Package Selection and Defaults

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 17:31:32 BST 2010

On Wednesday, September 29, 2010 07:26:30 am Jussi Schultink wrote:
> From my point of view we need to really look hard at the default IRC
> client in Ubuntu (Kubuntu is fine). Empathy is not anywhere near the
> standard required for an IRC client, missing many features and is
> generally hard to use. I personally would like to see
> xchat/xchat-gnome, but we need to explore other options also,
> including the possibility of writing some sort of "help client" as
> discussed at the last UDS. (this would have to be an additional
> feature, and probably integrated into other "help" areas).

+1 absolutely!

Seeing you dealing with someone on IRC the other day who didn't have a server
status window (or couldn't find it at any rate) because they were using Empathy
was mind-boggling.  The auto-scrolling makes it too hard to keep up, and
well... isn't the reason Empathy doesn't offer IRC on the initial account
creation GUI (it's there if you look after setting up a first account) because
the developers don't like it either?

--
Mackenzie